A note for driving instructor clients E and learner drivers
The Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency has released its response to a consultation with the industry to “Improve the car driving test”. In their conclusion they say:
“This paper reports the outcome of the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency’s (DVSA) consultation about changes to the car driving test. The consultation was held between 14 July and 25 August 2016. The consultation paper contained proposals for 4 changes to the way the driving test is conducted.
- increase the independent driving section of the practical driving test from 10 to 20 minutes
- provide the option for the directions in the independent driving section to be followed by using a sat nav, in addition to the current practice of following road signs
- modify the way in which manoeuvres are delivered, so that they are undertaken during the natural course of the drive – the exercises undertaken would be updated for modern driving conditions
- ask one of the 2 vehicle safety questions while on the move instead of at the start of the test.
There was broad support for the proposals. We've received the final presentation with the findings from a trial of the new test undertaken by the Transport Research Laboratory (TRL). This identifies improvements delivered by the new test. Taking into account the outcome of the consultation and the TRL research, the new test will be introduced for learner car drivers from 4 December 2017.”
This will prove to be a busy year for instructors as existing learner drivers try to pass their driving test before the 4 December. And, instructors will need to update their skills to teach drivers the new rules.
- The power of management accounting and cloud software for SMEs - May 25, 2023
- Rising cost of fuel and groceries fall under spotlight - May 23, 2023
- Government cash for industries to boost economy and cut emissions - May 18, 2023
- Millions of pounds saved as tide is turned on benefit fraudsters - May 16, 2023
- Tax change supports low-earning savers - May 11, 2023
- Restaurant and bar staff to benefit from new tipping law - May 9, 2023
- Fresh financial support for energy intensive businesses - May 4, 2023
- Fake reviews given thumbs down in new clampdown - May 3, 2023