Prior to 11 March 2020, business owners could sell multiple, qualifying businesses during their lifetime, and as long as the total chargeable gains did not exceed £10m, a reduced rate of Capital Gains Tax of just 10% would apply.
Since budget day, 11 March 2020, this lifetime allowance has been reduced to £1m.
Business owners who are contemplating a sale of their business after the March date may need to rethink their disposal strategies as this change could potentially double the amount of CGT payable on their sale.
Please contact us for more information on this topic.
- Companies House fees expected to rise to fund new powers - September 21, 2023
- Retirees set for second bumper State Pension hike as pay inflation soars - September 19, 2023
- Clampdown on hidden online fees to help shoppers cut costs - September 14, 2023
- One in five strips back pension contributions or halts them altogether - September 12, 2023
- Trying to track down a pension? Help is at hand - September 7, 2023
- Tax Diary September/October 2023 - September 5, 2023
- Class 2 and 4 NIC for the self-employed - September 5, 2023
- Overview of private pension contributions - September 5, 2023