Prior to 11 March 2020, business owners could sell multiple, qualifying businesses during their lifetime, and as long as the total chargeable gains did not exceed £10m, a reduced rate of Capital Gains Tax of just 10% would apply.
Since budget day, 11 March 2020, this lifetime allowance has been reduced to £1m.
Business owners who are contemplating a sale of their business after the March date may need to rethink their disposal strategies as this change could potentially double the amount of CGT payable on their sale.
Please contact us for more information on this topic.
- Gender gap closing in UK board rooms - March 3, 2021
- Challenges as we emerge from lockdown - March 1, 2021
- Supreme Court determines Uber drivers are workers - February 25, 2021
- Do you qualify for the fourth SEISS grant? - February 23, 2021
- Tax claims if working from home - February 18, 2021
- UK Pensions Bill receives Royal Assent - February 16, 2021
- Prospects for 2021 - February 11, 2021
- New UK subsidies to replace EU State Aid - February 10, 2021