Prior to 11 March 2020, business owners could sell multiple, qualifying businesses during their lifetime, and as long as the total chargeable gains did not exceed £10m, a reduced rate of Capital Gains Tax of just 10% would apply.
Since budget day, 11 March 2020, this lifetime allowance has been reduced to £1m.
Business owners who are contemplating a sale of their business after the March date may need to rethink their disposal strategies as this change could potentially double the amount of CGT payable on their sale.
Please contact us for more information on this topic.
- Tax Diary December 2020/January 2021 - December 2, 2020
- Customs changes from 1 January 2021 - December 2, 2020
- Trivial benefits are not so trivial - December 2, 2020
- Self-Assessment filing deadline draws near - December 2, 2020
- More on extended furlough scheme - December 2, 2020
- Employers note increase in National Living Wage - December 1, 2020
- Are you ready for 1 January 2021? - November 25, 2020
- Furlough claims from 1 November 2020 - November 24, 2020