Prior to 11 March 2020, business owners could sell multiple, qualifying businesses during their lifetime, and as long as the total chargeable gains did not exceed £10m, a reduced rate of Capital Gains Tax of just 10% would apply.
Since budget day, 11 March 2020, this lifetime allowance has been reduced to £1m.
Business owners who are contemplating a sale of their business after the March date may need to rethink their disposal strategies as this change could potentially double the amount of CGT payable on their sale.
Please contact us for more information on this topic.
- How the lockdown rules are changing from 17th May - May 18, 2021
- Did you overclaim the SEISS grant? - May 13, 2021
- Running a limited company - May 12, 2021
- Are your Child Benefits under threat? - May 6, 2021
- Tax Diary May/June 2021 - May 4, 2021
- Advisory Fuel Rates from 1 March 2021 - May 4, 2021
- Averaging profits for creators of literary or artistic works - May 4, 2021
- Charity – using a subsidiary trading company - May 4, 2021