Prior to 11 March 2020, business owners could sell multiple, qualifying businesses during their lifetime, and as long as the total chargeable gains did not exceed £10m, a reduced rate of Capital Gains Tax of just 10% would apply.
Since budget day, 11 March 2020, this lifetime allowance has been reduced to £1m.
Business owners who are contemplating a sale of their business after the March date may need to rethink their disposal strategies as this change could potentially double the amount of CGT payable on their sale.
Please contact us for more information on this topic.
- Deadline approaching for checking property details - February 2, 2023
- Tax Diary February/March 2023 - January 31, 2023
- PAYE and overseas employees 24773 - January 31, 2023
- When you must register for VAT - January 31, 2023
- Limits to tax relief for pension contributions - January 31, 2023
- Corporation tax changes April 2023 - January 31, 2023
- Do not get caught out by dodgy job ads - January 31, 2023
- Electric car owners to save money under landmark initiative - January 26, 2023