Prior to 11 March 2020, business owners could sell multiple, qualifying businesses during their lifetime, and as long as the total chargeable gains did not exceed £10m, a reduced rate of Capital Gains Tax of just 10% would apply.
Since budget day, 11 March 2020, this lifetime allowance has been reduced to £1m.
Business owners who are contemplating a sale of their business after the March date may need to rethink their disposal strategies as this change could potentially double the amount of CGT payable on their sale.
Please contact us for more information on this topic.
- Tax Diary December 2021/January 2022 - December 2, 2021
- Budget bad news 27 October 2021 - December 2, 2021
- Budget bonuses 27 October 2021 - December 2, 2021
- Business gifts and tax - December 2, 2021
- Christmas gifts for staff - December 2, 2021
- Increasing footfall - December 2, 2021
- Christmas shopping warning - November 30, 2021
- Beware tax scams - November 23, 2021