Prior to 11 March 2020, business owners could sell multiple, qualifying businesses during their lifetime, and as long as the total chargeable gains did not exceed £10m, a reduced rate of Capital Gains Tax of just 10% would apply.
Since budget day, 11 March 2020, this lifetime allowance has been reduced to £1m.
Business owners who are contemplating a sale of their business after the March date may need to rethink their disposal strategies as this change could potentially double the amount of CGT payable on their sale.
Please contact us for more information on this topic.
- Waiving salaries or dividends - May 28, 2020
- Coronavirus – Business update 27 May 2020 - May 27, 2020
- Cash boost for new business start-ups - May 26, 2020
- Social distancing at work - May 21, 2020
- Title: Coronavirus – Business support updates 19 May 2020 - May 19, 2020
- Six-month extension to MOT dates - May 18, 2020
- Coronavirus – Business support updates 13 May 2020 - May 13, 2020
- Claiming tax relief for home office expenses - May 7, 2020