If your employment requires that you obtain and maintain membership of a professional organisation, you can make a claim to set the cost against your taxable earnings for income tax purposes. As you would expect there are a few hoops you will need to jump through to claim this relief. They are:
- You must have the professional membership to do your job or if membership helps you with your work.
- You can only claim back subscriptions to organisations approved by HMRC.
- You cannot claim back fees for life membership subscriptions.
- You cannot claim subscriptions you have not paid yourself, for example, your employer has paid them for you.
To see the full list of professional organisations and other learned societies that are approved by the tax office visit this page on the GOV.UK website:
- Are you ready for 1 January 2021? - November 25, 2020
- Furlough claims from 1 November 2020 - November 24, 2020
- Are you eligible for further self-employed grants? - November 19, 2020
- Current businesses subject to lock-down - November 17, 2020
- Are you eligible for Universal Credit? - November 12, 2020
- Government financial support extended - November 9, 2020
- Get ready for end of EU transition period - November 5, 2020
- Are you making the most of your accounts data? - November 4, 2020