Claiming back professional subscriptions
If your employment requires that you obtain and maintain membership of a professional organisation, you can make a claim to set the cost against your taxable earnings for income tax purposes. As you would expect there are a few hoops you will need to jump through to claim this relief. They are:
- You must have the professional membership to do your job or if membership helps you with your work.
- You can only claim back subscriptions to organisations approved by HMRC.
- You cannot claim back fees for life membership subscriptions.
- You cannot claim subscriptions you have not paid yourself, for example, your employer has paid them for you.
To see the full list of professional organisations and other learned societies that are approved by the tax office visit this page on the GOV.UK website:
- HMRC issues VAT guidance to help overseas sellers - March 30, 2023
- Crack your Easter childcare costs with tax-free top-ups - March 28, 2023
- Ready for the new tax year? Follow our tips - March 22, 2023
- Chancellor targets business growth in Spring Budget - March 20, 2023
- Budget summary 15 March 2023 - March 16, 2023
- Leaving your business? Why you should plan an exit strategy - March 10, 2023
- Thinking of ditching the 9-5 and going self-employed? - March 8, 2023
- Why close a limited company - March 7, 2023