In a further bid to encourage savings for a first property purchase, or retirement, a new ISA is being launched from April 2017 – the Lifetime ISA.
It will be available from April 2017 for adults under the age of 40. They will be able to contribute up to £4,000 per year, and receive a 25% bonus from the government.
Funds from the Lifetime ISA, including the government bonus, can be used to buy a first home at any time from 12 months after the account opening, and be withdrawn from age 60. There will be penalties for early withdrawals.
The government also announced that the overall annual ISA subscription limit will be increased to £20,000 from 6 April 2017.
- Ready for tax payments next month? - June 17, 2021
- Beware bogus contacts from HMRC - June 15, 2021
- VAT Deferral Scheme deadline - June 10, 2021
- Outlook for employment - June 9, 2021
- The 7-year rule - June 3, 2021
- Tax Diary June/July 2021 - June 2, 2021
- Importing goods for the first time? - June 2, 2021
- Furlough scheme ends September 2021 - June 2, 2021