Marriage Allowance – are you benefiting?
If you’re married or in a civil partnership, you could be one of the 2.1 million couples currently benefiting from Marriage Allowance.
Understanding Marriage Allowance
It is a tax benefit that is available to married couples and civil partners in the UK. The allowance allows for a portion of one partner's unused personal allowance to be transferred to the other partner, reducing their tax bill.
Benefits of the allowance
The financial benefits of Marriage Allowance can be significant, especially for couples with one partner earning significantly less than the other. The partner who earns less than the personal allowance threshold (currently £12,570 in the tax year 2022/23) can transfer up to £1,260 of their unused personal allowance to their partner, who will receive a tax credit of 20% of this amount, currently £252. This reduces the higher-earning partner's tax bill by up to £252, providing a welcome boost to their joint finances.
Tax Year Marriage Allowance amount
Marriage Allowance eligibility
To be eligible for Marriage Allowance, both partners must meet certain criteria.
- You’re married or in a civil partnership and are not currently in receipt of Married Couple’s Allowance
- You do not pay income tax or you earn less than your Personal Allowance so are not liable to tax. For the tax year 2022/23, this means an income of less than £12,570
- Your partner pays tax on their income at the basic rate so is not liable to higher or additional rate taxes. This means your partners income is between £12,571 and £50,270 before Marriage Allowance
Use the free Marriage Allowance Calculator on GOV.UK to check if you could be eligible for the tax relief.
These thresholds are subject to change each tax year, so it is important to check the latest information from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to ensure you are eligible and understand the amount of Marriage Allowance you may be able to claim.
Overall, Marriage Allowance can provide a valuable financial benefit for UK couples, helping to reduce their tax bill and boost their joint finances.
How to apply for Marriage Allowance
You can apply online to HMRC at GOV.UK. You’ll need your national Insurance numbers and identification. You can also apply by calling 0300 200 3300.
- Chancellor targets business growth in Spring Budget - March 20, 2023
- Budget summary 15 March 2023 - March 16, 2023
- Leaving your business? Why you should plan an exit strategy - March 10, 2023
- Thinking of ditching the 9-5 and going self-employed? - March 8, 2023
- Why close a limited company - March 7, 2023
- A reminder – points add up to penalties from 1 January 2023 - March 2, 2023
- Tax Diary March/April 2023 - March 1, 2023
- Gaps in your National Insurance record - March 1, 2023