If you became self-employed after 5 April 2019 and you have submitted your 2019-20 tax return before 2 March 2021, you may be eligible for the next two Self-Employed Income Support Scheme (SEISS) grants for the quarter end 30 April 2021 and the final claims period to 30 September 2021.
HMRC has announced that they are adding a new layer of security to these SEISS claims and will be calling taxpayers to verify their identity. The announcement on the GOV.UK website says:
From March to April 2021 HMRC will write to customers who became self-employed in 2019-20 and submitted a self-assessment return for that period.
As a result of the Chancellor’s announcement that the fourth Self Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) grant will take into account the 2019-20 tax returns, these customers may be eligible for support under SEISS.
The letter will tell customers to expect a telephone call on the number they provided on their tax return.
If the customer provided an agent’s number on their return, we will ask the agent to pass on the customer’s number as we need to speak to the customer directly.
When we call, we’ll ask for proof of identity and evidence of trade in the form of bank statements.
We are aware of increased scam activity related to HMRC’s coronavirus support schemes. The purpose of this letter is to explain to customers that this is a genuine call, and to give customers details on how to recognise it as such.
- Small companies required to file profit and loss when new Bill becomes law - September 26, 2023
- Companies House fees expected to rise to fund new powers - September 21, 2023
- Retirees set for second bumper State Pension hike as pay inflation soars - September 19, 2023
- Clampdown on hidden online fees to help shoppers cut costs - September 14, 2023
- One in five strips back pension contributions or halts them altogether - September 12, 2023
- Trying to track down a pension? Help is at hand - September 7, 2023
- Tax Diary September/October 2023 - September 5, 2023
- Class 2 and 4 NIC for the self-employed - September 5, 2023