Since 13 May 2020, it has been possible to use online processes, accessed via the gov.uk website, to:
- Clarify if you are eligible to apply for the Self-Employed Income Support Scheme, and
- Lodge your claim. Payment should usually be in your bank account within 6 days.
Are you eligible?
By entering your unique tax reference number and National Insurance number you will be advised if you are eligible to make a claim and when you should do this. The link to this facility is on page https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/self-employment-support/enter-unique-taxpayer-reference
However, there have been comments in the press that HMRC has had problems with the complex calculations involved in making this decision. If you were expecting to receive a payment under this scheme and are advised that none is available, you should challenge the outcome with HMRC.
Register your claim
If a claim is eligible you will be directed to register your claim by using your personal Government Gateway ID and password.
You will also need:
- UK bank details (only provide bank account details where a Bacs payment can be accepted) including:
- bank account number
- sort code
- name on the account
- your address linked to your bank account
Finally, you will be asked to confirm that your business has been adversely affected by coronavirus.
Note: claims for the first quarter to 31 May 2020 will close 13 July 2020
SEISS extended for final three-month period
It was announced 29 May that the SEISS would be extended for a further three-month period to 31 August 2020. Applications for this period will be opened late August 2020. The amount that can be claimed for June-August 2020 will be limited to 70% of eligible earnings capped at a maximum grant of £6,570.
- Supreme Court determines Uber drivers are workers - February 25, 2021
- Do you qualify for the fourth SEISS grant? - February 23, 2021
- Tax claims if working from home - February 18, 2021
- UK Pensions Bill receives Royal Assent - February 16, 2021
- Prospects for 2021 - February 11, 2021
- New UK subsidies to replace EU State Aid - February 10, 2021
- Current tax year will still end 5 April 2021 - February 4, 2021
- Tax office moves the penalty spot - February 2, 2021