Strategies for the self-employed
The end of the calendar year is a popular accounting date for many businesses, but for those of us with a year-end accounting date of 31 March 2020, reviewing your management accounts for the nine months to the end of December 2020 can have real benefits. For example:
- If you are self-employed and for the nine months you are predicting lower profits for 2020-21 (compared to 2019-20) it may be possible to reduce your self-assessment payment on account due at the end of January 2021. Many self-employed persons adversely affected by COVID disruption will be in this position. Contact us so we can file an appropriate election.
- If you are self-employed and your profits are predicted to be higher for 2020-21, then you may have underpaid your self-assessment tax for 2020-21. Again, contact us so we can estimate this possible underpayment and work out a realistic savings plan to accumulate the necessary funds.
- When working out your taxable profits for 2020-21, don’t forget to include any Self-Employed Income Support received or other COVID related grants.
- Use the nine months figures to update your financial budgets for 2020-21. We recommend that all businesses undertake this task as it will identify high points and low points in your cash flow and solvency. Please call if you need help with this task. If you have never created a budget before we can help you crunch the necessary numbers.
Needless to say, if you are concerned by the historical results to 31 December 2020 or the outlook for 2021, let’s get together and see how best to meet these challenges. With the external pressures that EU disengagement may pose for your business this is not a time for wishful thinking. Be prepared.
- Paying work-related expenses? Do not forget to claim - May 30, 2023
- The power of management accounting and cloud software for SMEs - May 25, 2023
- Rising cost of fuel and groceries fall under spotlight - May 23, 2023
- Government cash for industries to boost economy and cut emissions - May 18, 2023
- Millions of pounds saved as tide is turned on benefit fraudsters - May 16, 2023
- Tax change supports low-earning savers - May 11, 2023
- Restaurant and bar staff to benefit from new tipping law - May 9, 2023
- Fresh financial support for energy intensive businesses - May 4, 2023