In a recent press release the government confirmed that more than 500,000 rural homes in the UK are to receive access to better broadband plans. They said:
• 570,000 more rural premises in line for best broadband available via £5 billion Project Gigabit
• Includes Cheshire, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Essex, Herefordshire, Gloucestershire, Lincolnshire, East Riding and North Yorkshire
• Follows £8 million broadband boost for 3,600 rural homes and businesses in northern Scotland announced at Budget
“More than half a million more rural homes and businesses will be given access to better broadband as part of plans to level up the country with improved internet connectivity, Digital Secretary Nadine Dorries has announced.
“An estimated 567,000 hard-to-reach premises across Cheshire, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Essex, Herefordshire, Gloucestershire, Lincolnshire, East Riding and North Yorkshire are in line to benefit from the government’s £5 billion Project Gigabit, which is bringing next generation gigabit-capable broadband across the UK.
“Project Gigabit is the biggest broadband rollout in UK history and part of the Prime Minister’s plan to level up communities with the future-proofed connectivity they will need for the next forty years.
“Most of the gigabit-capable connections will be delivered through full fibre broadband cables. This provides the speed and reliability needed for several people to work from home, stream ultra-high definition video content and play next-generation online games all at the same time.
For families in all the affected areas, particularly those who need to accommodate multiple connections, this will be welcome news.
However, don’t hold your breath. The start date for this project is not planned until June 2022 at the earlies and be completed across all the affected regions by late summer 2024.
- Tax Diary February/March 2023 - January 31, 2023
- PAYE and overseas employees 24773 - January 31, 2023
- When you must register for VAT - January 31, 2023
- Limits to tax relief for pension contributions - January 31, 2023
- Corporation tax changes April 2023 - January 31, 2023
- Do not get caught out by dodgy job ads - January 31, 2023
- Electric car owners to save money under landmark initiative - January 26, 2023
- Be on your guard against scammers - January 24, 2023